Legalisation of stay in Poland

When you arrive to Poland on a student visa you should apply for a temporary residence permit. Your visa will be normally valid for one or two semester of studies and during this time you need to at least lodge an application. While your application is being considered you are legally entitled to stay in Poland; however you should take the necessary steps to obtain the temporary residence permit as soon as possible. The permit will be confirmed with the issuing of your Residence Card that you will need to present to the Warsaw University of Technology employees. 

IMPORTANT: While you are waiting for the results of your application for temporary residence permit you cannot leave the territory of Poland. 

Temporary Residence Permit

Temporary residence permit is issued for a maximum of 3 years. However, the period of validity of the permit may be shorter. Temporary residence permits are not automatically prolonged if you keep residing in Poland. When your permit expires you will have to apply for a new permit before the previous one expires. If you do not apply for a new permit you must leave the territory of Poland before the expiration date on your Residence Card (Karta Pobytu). 

The procedure of legalization for temporary stay is conducted at the Voivodship Office (Urząd Wojewódzki):

Mazowiecki Urząd Wojewódzki: Warsaw, Marszałkowska 3/5 street


There are variety of ways you can lodge your application for the temporary residence permit. You can submit the application in person (ticket X), via registry office (ticket A) or through the post office. However, you will have to appear in the office for collection of your fingerprints. If you fail to come to the office when requested your application will not be considered and you will become illegal immigrant. 

Documents that you will have to submit (for detailed information please visit Mazowiecki Urząd Wojewódzki)

2 copies of the application form;
4 recent colour photographs;
Valid travel document for sighting e.g. passport and 2 photocopies;
Confirmation of payment of the office fee of 340 PLN

Confirmation from the university of acceptance for studies or continuation of studies (new form introduced in October 2019);
Proof of payment of tuition fees (bank transfer confirmation together with statement from the University stating tuition fee amount and the actual payment);
Documents confirming valid health insurance (covering period of 3 months after the date of issue of the temporary residence permit);
Evidence of sufficient funds to cover the costs of living (701 PLN per month if you are single in Poland) and return travel to the country of origin or residence (2500 PLN) and the cost of tuition fees; proven by bank statement, credit card statement or scholarship certificate; 

Transcripts of records; e.g. from the 1st semester of your studies 

Proof of place of residence (e.g. lease agreement with fees on utilities or certificate from the Dormitory)

Statement on number of financial dependants 

Useful information

If you are 1st year student, you will be granted Temporary Residence Permit for a period of 15 months maximum. 

As a full time student you are legally allowed to work in Poland during your studies and after graduation alike. Once you graduate your Temporary Residence Permit will be issued for 9 months.

If your application for Temporary Residence Permit is rejected written appeal letter should be lodged within 14 days from the date of receipt of the decision; you might need to consult a lawyer on how to prepare the documents for the appeal.