Arrival/City Council Registration

Foreign citizens who are going to stay in Poland for a long time have to register their temporary residence. Please check below how you can do it.

Who has to register his/her temporary residence?

NON-EU CITIZENS who are going to spend in Poland over 30 days
EU CITIZENS who are going to spend in Poland over 90 days

Where can I register my temporary residence?

In one of the District Offices of the City of Warsaw. Before going to the office, please make an appointment by e-mail or call the office. Please find the list of the offices as well as their contact details here

When do I have to register for my temporary residence?

NON-EU CITIZENS – within 4 days of their arrival 
EU CITIZENS – within 30 days of their arrival 

What is the cost of registering my residence? 

The service is free of charge. You will pay PLN 17 only if you need the certificate of temporary residence. 

What documents are required? 

– passport or national ID card (EU citizens);  
– visa (non-EU citizens);  
– rental agreement or the confirmation of accommodation in a WUT dormitory;  
– temporary residence form (if you rent a flat, the owner of this flat has to fill in the form in point 6). 

How long do I have to wait for registration? 

If you have all required documents, you will be registered immediately, during your visit at the office. 

What if I have already registered my temporary residence address in another Polish city? 

Please register your current residence address in Warsaw. You will be automatically deregistered in the previous city. Please visit one of the District Offices of the City of Warsaw. 


*The registration of your address of residence (in Polish: meldunek) at the District Office of the City of Warsaw ≠ the procedure of applying for a temporary residence permit at the Mazovian Voivodeship Office. 


If you register your residence in the District Office of the City of Warsaw, you will be automatically assigned a PESEL number. 

What is a PESEL number? 

A number in the Universal Electronic System for Registration of the Population. Each Pole obtains this number after birth. Foreign citizens can also be assigned this number. It will make their life in Poland easier (contacts with administration, health issues etc.). 

What is a PESEL number for? 

– checking if you are covered by the health insurance of the Polish National Health Fund,
e.g. if you need to go to public hospital or a medical centre; 
– enables a doctor to give you an e-prescription or e-referral to a specialist or hospital. 

Useful links: 

Zamelduj się na pobyt czasowy (dla cudzoziemców) - - Portal ( 
Zameldowanie na pobyt czasowy cudzoziemców oraz obywateli państw członkowskich Unii Europejskiej i członków ich rodzin - Zameldowanie/wymeldowanie - Warszawa 19115